Flanders See list of castles in Belgio
The present castle was built in 1180 by Count Philip of Alsace and was modeled after the crusaders castles that Philip of Alsace met while he participated in the Second Crusade. Before it was built, there was a wooden castle in the same location, presumably built in the ninth century. The castle was the seat of the Counts of Flanders until they abandoned it in the 14th century. The castle was then used as a courthouse, a prison and finally declined. Houses were built against the walls and even the courtyard and the walls of the stones were used to build other buildings. A time also served as a factory. At the end of the 19th century, the castle was scheduled to be demolished.