Tanlay Castle (France)
Bourgogne-Franche-Comté See list of castles in Francia
The construction of the castle began in the early 16th century on the foundations of an ancient fortress.
In 1533 he was bequeathed to Louise de MONTMORENCY, sister of the constable Anne de Montmorency and widow of the Marshal Gaspard de Coligny. His youngest son, François de COLIGNY, Lord of Andelot, undertook the construction of the great chateau (1550-1568), until the wars of Religion (St Bartholomew 1572). In particular, the Château attracts memories of this hectic page of French history that he evokes: Admiral de Coligny used to gather here the other leaders of the Protestant League.
The Coligny Tower and the Tour de la Ligue date from the French Renaissance, as well as the small castle (1610) begun by François de COLIGNY and completed by his son-in-law, Jacques CHABOT and Marquis de Mirebeau.
The great castle was completed in the middle of the seventeenth century. His new owner, Michel PARTICELLI, Lord of HEMERY, Superintendent of Finance, appealed to the architect Pierre LE MUET who was inspired by the style of the original constructions. Dating in particular of this time: The right part of the courtyard, the imposing moat, the stables and the canal in the park. Some architectural details, such as the pyramids on the access bridge, the wall surrounding the Green Court, the Caesars Gallery, the Nymphaeum, are imbued with Italian taste.
At the end of the 17th century, Jean Thevenin, governor of Saint-Denis, made Marquis de Tanlay in 1705 by LOUIS XIV, acquired the castle of Phelypeaux de la Vrillière, son-in-law of Particelli.
Since Tanlay belongs to the same family that adorned it internally in the eighteenth century. The Comte de La Chauviniere, the present owner, is the son of the ambassador Edouard de La Chauviniere and Marguerite de Tanlay.