Saissac Castle (France)
Occitania See list of castles in Francia
The most misunderstood castles "Cathars" and yet! It is the oldest and one of the largest, Carbon 14 analysis on a charcoal fragment included in the masonry of the tower gave the approximate date of 900 for the construction of this fortification.
It was in 960 that the castle of Saissac is mentioned verbatim. To date, it is bequeathed by Hugh, Bishop of Toulouse to the Count of Carcassonne.
In the eleventh century, the lords of the manor in Carcassonne inféodent vassals in the region and thus was born the tradition of Saissac. The most famous person in this family is Bertrand de Saissac (1140-1202), patron of the troubadours and the Cathars, he was including the famous guardian of Raymond Roger Trencavel of 1193-1199.
From the beginning of the Albigensian Crusade against the (1209-1229), the lords of Saissac travel to Simon de Montfort for fear of reprisals from the Crusader armies. The lordship and passed to the Northern barons Bouchard of Marly in 1209 and Lambert Thurey in 1234. The manor is then divided into two between the lords of the north and some in the line of Saissac who have rights and land, provided to swear fidelity to the king of France and not to tolerate Catharism.
It is likely that after the Crusade moved the "castrum" of Saissac (medieval fortified village at the foot of the castle and the remains of which are still visible) at the site of the current village.
the fireworks of July 13 of SaissacEn 1518 family Bernuy (rich pastel merchants) inherits the castle and transformed into comfortable residence. Subsequently (1565), the family of Clermont-Lodeve adapts to artillery and during the Wars of Religion, troops are housed in the castle. Became marquisate from 1604 it will be for the Luynes House from 1715 to 1789.
During the French Revolution, the castle was confiscated and sold as national property. Various owners succeed, one treasure hunters company that dynamite and dig the dungeon rooms in vain. However, the "Treasure of Saissac" was discovered in 1979 during work in the city: it is made from 2000 denier dated from the late thirteenth century.
In 1994, the building and its surroundings were bought by the municipality for a symbolic franc. Followed, from 1996 to 2000, consolidation of campaigns for the public opening. From 2004 to 2006, major work on the house Aldonce enabled the rehabilitation of two rooms in the spirit of the sixteenth century.