Castle of the Dukes of Brittany (France)
Pays de la Loire See list of castles in Francia
Built in the 13th century on the Gallo-Roman wall - still visible - of the city of the Namnets, the first ducal castle disappears in the 15th century to make room for the current monument. This is the work of Francis II, the last Duke of Brittany who wants to make the Castle of the Dukes of Brittany a defensive military fortress against royal power and the main residence of the ducal court.
The work of embellishment is pursued by his daughter the Duchess Anne of Brittany, twice queen of France by her successive marriages to Charles VIII and Louis XII.
There are various carved decorations (skylights of the Grand Logis, coat of arms, loggias of the tower of the Golden Crown) marked by the first influences of the Italian Renaissance.
After Brittany joined France in 1532, the castle of the dukes of Brittany became the 16th and 17th centuries the Breton home of the kings of France, then barracks, military arsenal and prison.
During three centuries, it underwent many transformations as well as various damages: fortifications, fire in 1670, construction of the Harness Building for the storage of artillery equipment, explosion in 1800 ...
Classified as a historic monument in 1862, it was sold by the State to the City of Nantes in 1915, before becoming, as of 1924, municipal museum. During the Second World War, German occupation troops built a bunker there.