Linderhof Castle (Germany)
Bavaria See list of castles in Germania
Dreams and implementation
The construction of Ludwig II, who was crowned king in 1864, began in 1867/68 with the design of his apartments in the Munich Residence and laying the foundation stone of Neuschwanstein Castle.
Already in 1868 Ludwig II developed the first construction projects for Linderhof. But neither the planned project of a Versailles-inspired castle in the valley level nor the plans for the construction of a large Byzantine palace were executed.
The core of the construction activities was rather the former forester's house of his father Maximilian II, which was at that time on today's forecourt and which the king already used as crown prince on hunting trips with his father. The Linderhof Palace, which was built from a long construction and conversion period, is the only major palace building that King Ludwig II lived to see.
Extension with wooden attachments
As early as 1870, a uniaxial wing was added under the direction of Hofbau Director Georg Dollmann (construction phase 2). Even during the completion of this cultivation, the decisive new version of the building idea followed.
From the spring of 1871, a symmetrical addition to the first extension and the connection of the two casements by a bedroom were planned and executed (Stage 3). A wooden staircase on the west side allowed entering the U-shaped complex around an open courtyard, independent of the royal house.
The old royal house was superfluous; that it was initially maintained shows the king's emotional connection to this building.
The resulting plant forms the preserved core of the castle. On the upper floor, it consisted of a wooden, studded stand construction over a masonry basement level and was also called "alpine hut building" because of the existing wooden structures. The simple exterior gave no indication of the splendor of the interiors.
Wrapped in stone
However, the step-by-step situation required an integrated architectural solution. In February 1873, King Ludwig II approved a plan that finally determined the design of the castle. Initially, the lumber mill was covered with solid masonry and a new cross-shaped roof was created (construction phase 4). This part of the building formed the core of the new castle, but did not yet have an internal staircase.
Completion of the entrance tract
On 20.1.1874 the king granted permission to move the royal house to its present location, about 200 meters away. In its place, the new southern wing was built (construction phase 5).
Only now was the palace realized in its final form on the outside, inside vestibule and stairwell were installed. 1876 also the equipment work in the south tract were completed.
Embedding in the landscape park
The transformation from "Almhüttenbau" to "Royal Villa" had decisive consequences for the whole environment of the castle. 1874 was the final planning of the park by Hofgartenendirektor Carl Joseph von Effner before.
Enlargement of the bedroom
1885/86 was a last reconstruction phase of the castle. The bedroom as a central room was widened and extended to the north (Stage 6). This required a significant reconstruction of the castle and a new middle section of the north facade, including a new roof covering this area. The now 30 x 27 meters measuring palace building came in 1886 by the death of King Ludwig II to the conclusion. The completion of the new bedroom, he did not live.