Sumeg Castle (Hungary)
Veszprem County See list of castles in Ungheria
The Sümeg one of the finest in the country, relatively well-preserved medieval fortress, built in the environment of highly prominent barren hilltop.
The waiting three major territorial unit of external, internal and Citadel available. Construction is divided into several periods. Built in the 1260's in the oldest part of the castle, on the lower level Öregtornyának the citadel, carrying a wooden floor tower section could stand.
Changes in the 14th century during the Anjou kings occurred. Then it took place under the organizational strengthening of the fortress walls of the citadel and the upper level of the old tower construction, repair of existing buildings.
The castle is larger expansions during the 15th century Gathalóczy Matthias (1440-1457) Seeding Albert (1458-1486) and younger Sir John (1489-1499) was carried out at the time of bishops. First large plateau in front of the small castle was surrounded by a high várfallal, forming a large courtyard.
Constructed under Bishop seeding activities in the Inner Gate Tower, completed in rocks of the castle in the south of the palace. It is held at a later period of the external gate tower and battlements, the castle wall battlements building. The name of the establishment of the chapel of Bishop John Knight, On.
The next large-scale construction and then started to Veszprém in 1552 were Turks, and the bishopric of Sümeg castle refugees. The work led by Bishop Andrew Rocky (1553-1568) and trunk Józsa captains were conducted. First, the northern corner of the castle built a two-story, large pentagon-shaped castle, which was later Rocky bishop named after then rebuilt the palace wing.
Bishop György Széchenyi name (1648-1658) in seeing the Sümeg bishop's seat inauguration and he initiated the palace wing baroque transformation as well.
his successor, bishop Stephen Sennyei (1659-1683) continued the construction of the castle, the external gate tower was confirmed was near a high tower, which bears the name of the bishop.
the history of the castle's construction ends Széchenyi wife of bishop Paul (1687-1710). At this point in addition to the repairs they folyhattak new construction as well. The castle's decline began at the beginning of the next century. After the war of independence, was set on fire in 1713, since then the castle was two and a half centuries exposed to destruction.
In 1957, they saw him waiting for a seven-year exploration and recovery. The castle üzmeltetését carried out by a private company since 1989, has been under constant renovation.