Murud-Janjira Castle (India)
Maharashtra See list of castles in India
The castle of Murud-Janjira is a fortress located on an island just off the coastal village of Murud, in the Raigad district of Maharashtra, India. E 'it was occupied by Siddis and is famous for being the only strong on the west coast of India, which remained undefeated despite Dutch, Maratha and English East India Company attacks.
Murud-Janjira Fort is situated on a rock oval off the Arabian Sea coast, near the port town of Murud, 165 km (103 miles) south of Mumbai. Janjira is considered one of the strongest marine forts in India. The fort is approached by sailboats Rajapuri pier. The main gate of the fort faces Rajapuri on the shore and you only see when you're close enough to it. It has a small postern offshore for escape.
The fort has 19 bastions rounded, still intact. There are many guns of natives and Europeans get rust on bastioni.Ormai in ruins, the fort in its heyday was a real living fort with all necessary facilities, such as buildings, housing for officers, mosque, two large fresh water tank, etc. On the outside wall flanking the main gate, there is a sculpture of a tiger-like beast clutching elephant in its claws. There are important "ASHOK-CHAKRA" to all the main ports of Janjira fort. There are pictures of elephants playing, lions etc.
The palace of the Nawabs of Murud Janjira is still in good shape. The palace was self-sufficient and must have the support of the locals. He has secret doors to hide and escape. Its construction is unique and very strong.
Originally the fortress was a small wooden structure built by a Koli leader in the late fifteenth century. It 'been captured by Pir Khan, a general Nizamshah Ahmednagar. Later, the fortress was reinforced by Malik Ambar, the Abyssinian origin Siddi regent of King Ahmednagar. Thereafter, Siddis became independent, loyalty because Adilshah and Mughal as dictated by times.L'ultimo survived Roby Prince Philip lives in New York.
The fort was built in the fifteenth century on a smaller scale of a local Maratha Chieftain-Pescatore-Ram Patil to protect his people from pirates / robbers and was known as "Medhekot". He was a fearless man with an independent bent of mind, which was very popular with local fishermen. Nizam, the ruler of Ahmadnagar sent one of his commanders Piram Siddi Khan, who came with three ships with necessary weapons and soldiers and captured the fort. Piram Khan succeeded Burhan Khan, who demolished the original fort and built a much larger impregnable, 22 hectares, a sharp stone sometime in between 1567 and 1571. The fort was called 'Jazeere Mahroob Jazeera', which in Arabic it means an island. Siddhi Ambersatak was appointed commander of the fort.
Despite their repeated attempts, the Portuguese, the 'British and Marathas failed to subdue the power of the Siddi, who were allied with the' Mughal empire. The main Murud-Janjira historical figures include men like Sidi Yahya Saleh and Yaqub .The fort has a gallery which opens in Rajpuri. The fortress was made from a mixture of lead, sand and Gul.
The Marathas led by Shivaji attempted to climb the 12-meter tall granite walls but failed in all her attempts.
His son Sambhaji also attempted to tunnel his way into the fort, but was unsuccessful in its attempts.
In the year 1736, Siddis of Murud-Janjira decided to regain Raigarh from the devastating forces of Baji Rao, April 19, 1736, Chimnaji attacked the gathering forces in camps Siddis during the battle near Riwas Riwas, when the confrontation ended 1500 Siddi including their leader Siddi Sat were killed. The peace ended in September 1736, but the Siddis were confined to Janjira, Gowalkot and Anjanwel.