Doe Castle (Ireland)
The castle was built in the 15th century. Sometimes the stated date is 1425. The first or first occupants were the Mac-Sweeney. The castle remained in their possession for about 200 years. The Mac-it ruled the Sweeneys of Rosguill area (now in Downing & Carrigart). Doe (now Creeslough and Dunfanaghy) Cloughaneely (now Falcone) and Tory Island, from Doe Castle.
Sir Cahir O'Doherty had his headquarters here when attack Derry 1608. The Mac Sweeneys are back for 1641 and Eoghan Rua O'Neill landed at Castle Doe 6 July 1642 on his return fron Spain. Around 1660 a British garrison took possession of the castle, but by 1690 the Mac Sweeney returned.
The castle changed hands several times over the years. One of the owners: George Vaghan Harte, who bought the castle in 1800 he left his initials (GVH) integrated on the wall above the eastern gateway.
The castle was occupied until 1909. In 1932 the Irish Land Commission (Office of Public Works) bought the Castle and conferred as a national monument. The work to restore the castle to its former glory is in progress, many legends and stories are told about the castle and the people who lived there.
Legends and stories.
The tragic love story of Aileen Turlough.
Aileen was fair and sweet daughter Doe Maolmhuire. Turlough was a O'Boyle from Ballymore. Turlough often went to deer hunting in the woods Duntally. It was there he met Aileen sweet Doe. The O'Boyle and MacSweeney the hated each other, but Aileen and Turlough were very much in love. When Malomhuire heard of the attack, he was furious and Aileen confined to the upper room in the castle tower. Turlough often go fishing on the river Lackagh hoping to see Aileen. While he was fishing the MacSweeney of captured and took him back to the Castle. A Aileen night looked out the window and saw with horror the corpse of his beloved Turlough being prepared for burial. At the sight Aileen jumped from the tower to his death. Until now the ghost of Turlough and Aileen rowing their boat on Lackagh river can still be seen.
The castle is being restored by the Council or Works most of the walls are being reported and floors are being renovated. New scales have to be mounted in line with the original degisn. A new roof is also being completed on the tower and for the first time in many years the rain is able to do much damage.