Larochette Castle (Luxembourg)
The ruins of Larochette castle are perched on a sandstone promontory 150 meters above the valley of the White Ernz, a tributary of the Sauer River.
The castle is accessed via a large bailey protected by a mound. The main castle, built of hewn stone is surrounded by a rampart, which today is largely destroyed. A deep ditch, partly of natural origin, the castle divided into two halves. On the tip of the promontory, the remains of several noble residences bear witness to the sumptuous architectural quality of this castle.
Since the acquisition of the castle in 1979 by the Luxembourg State, Larochette underwent major renovations. Photogrammetric images taken immediately after the purchase of the castle were supplemented by ongoing archaeological studies.
The lords of Larochette first appearance in the late 12th century as a flag bearer at the Luxembourg House. Towards the end of the 14th century, five great separated families live inside the castle. The Homburg House was built around 1350 in the alliance following the brothers Frederic and Conrad, Lords of Homburg, with the sisters Irmgard and Matilda of Larochette. The House of Créhange was built around 1385. At the end of the 16th century, the castle burned down and it was a ruin since then.
The high quality-house architectural Créhange -of was restored between 1983 and 1987. The Homburg House was consolidated and restored in 1987 and 1988. At the same time, considerable excavation and the works of compensation have been undertaken. The data resulting from these archeological explorations will help us to fully understand the history of the castle.