Castle of Capdepera (Spain)
Balearic Islands See list of castles in Spagna
Capdepera Castle is located in the northeast of Mallorca, on a mound with an excellent visual domain of the interior, the coastline and the Menorca channel, which separates both islands
It is a fortified site built during the fourteenth century at the behest of King Jaume II so that the population of the region could settle, especially during times when pirate attacks were more frequent. In the sixteenth century there were up to 125 houses inside. Finally the enclosure was uninhabited and in the 18th century it became a military plaza guarded by a governor until 1854, when the castle was abandoned. Through a public sub-state in 1856 the Castle passed to Josep Quint Zaforteza. It was not until 1983, after numerous negotiations with his heirs, when the City of Capdepera regained ownership of it. Currently a board is responsible for its management.
The castle of Capdepera was declared a Property of Cultural Interest (BIC), a figure of maximum protection of our historical heritage.
It is a monument that can be visited throughout the year.