Kilchurn Castle (Scotland)
Argyll and Bute See list of castles in Scozia
Kilchurn Castle is a ruined structure XV and XVII century on a rocky peninsula at the northeastern end of Loch Awe, Argyll and Bute, Scotland. Access to the castle is sometimes limited by the higher levels of the water usually in the lake, in which time the site actually becomes a temporary island.
It 'was the ancestral home of the Campbells of Glen Orchy, who later became the Earls of Breadalbane also known as the Breadalbane family branch, of the Clan Campbell.
Kilchurn Castle was built around 1450 by Sir Colin Campbell, first Lord of Glenorchy, as a five-storey tower house with a courtyard defended by an outer wall. By 1500 an additional range and a hall had been added to the south side of the castle. Other constructions have increased during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Kilchum was on a small island in Loch Awe slightly larger than the castle itself, although it is now connected to the mainland as the water level was amended in 1817. The castle was accessed via an underwater or low lying causeway.
At the turn of the sixteenth century Kilchurn Castle was extended by Sir Duncan Campbell, with the addition of a ground floor dining room built along the inside of the south curtain. During the second half of the century, another Sir Colin Campbell, the 6th Laird, continued to improve the layout of the castle, with the addition of some northern rooms of the tower house, and the remodeling of the parapet. This included the introduction of circular corner turrets adorned by corbels, many of which have survived very well.
Towards the end of the sixteenth century, the clan MacGregor Glenstrae occupied the castle. Once you have the Glenorchy lands during the fourteenth century, until it passed through marriage to the Campbells, the MacGregors were appointed guardians of Kilchurn Castle as the Campbells have spent much of their time Fincharn. This agreement lasted until the early part of the seventeenth century, when a violent feud between the two families has completed and possession regained Campbell.
In 1681, Sir John Campbell of Glenorchy was made 1st Earl of Breadalbane. To take advantage of the turbulence of the times, he converted Kilchum in modern barracks, which can accommodate 200 soldiers. Its main addition was the three-story block in the form of L along the north side.
Kilchum was then used as a Government garrison during the 1715 and 1745 Jacobite uprising. The Campbells have tried, unsuccessfully, to sell Kilchum the government, after they moved in 1740 to Taymouth Castle in Perthshire.
In 1760, the castle was severely damaged by lightning and was completely abandoned, the remains of a tower of a tower, still resting upside down in the center of the courtyard, they attest to the violence of the storm.
William Turner's' Mezzogiorno watercolor depicts the castle in the middle of the weather and geology of Scotland. E 'was created in 1802.
The ruin is currently in care of Historic Scotland and is open to the public during the summer. Access, only during the summer, is from a boat by Lochawe pier, or walk to Dalmine. Both points are on the A85 road. During 2006 and 2007 there was a problem of access to the castle. Network Rail, in accordance with their foot crossings blockade on the railway line, closed the crossing Kilchum, so removing access to land effectively. However, in 2007 access via the nearby viaduct it has been created, the landward restore access once more. In June 2012 - the doors that give access to the railway crossing in front of the station were opened and used.