Stirling Castle (Scotland)
Stirling See list of castles in Scozia
The cliff of volcanic origin that dominates Stirling was probably fortified since ancient times, but the importance of Stirling Castle as a royal residence peaked in the 16th century. Around 1500, James IV added new buildings, including the large Great Hall.
The elegant Royal Chapel was commissioned by James VI in 1594. But the heart of Stirling Castle is the spectacular palace, commissioned by James V in 1530. His exuberant fashion design has drawn on the European Renaissance to proclaim the power and sophistication James'.
Following a major research program, Historic Scotland has re-introduced the palace interior as they might have looked great when James V scheme has been completed.