Trolleholm Castle (Sweden)
Trolleholm has had different names through the ages - the Middle Ages it was called Katty Abbeville, during the Renaissance Erik Holm and in the 1700s it was called Trolleholm. The oldest data on a manor on the site is said to be from 1424 when the squire Erik Nielsen lived on the farm and called it "Ericus the Kati Fast".
In 1538, when Scania belonged to Denmark, let the Privy Council and the knight Tage Ottesen Thott († 1562), built a fortress here that he named Erik Holm for his dead brother, Erik. Erik Holm was a completely closed system with a three-storey building of brick around a square courtyard with a broad moat with drawbridge in front of the east gate. Since Skåne during the 1500s was the scene of many battles had to build a fortress that could withstand the increasingly sophisticated weapons. When Ottesen built his Eriksholm had the Count's Feud ended only two years earlier.
When Ottesen died in 1562 inherited his son Otte Thott Tagesen (19), Erik Holm, including family estate Isthmus. When Otte (45) died in 1588, his widow took over Ottesdatter Sophie Brahe (32) the management of the farm. She was besides the sister of the astronomer Tycho Brahe.
At Sophie's death in 1643 took over the son, Tage Ottesen Thott (63) goods. He was then one of Denmark's most powerful and richest men. In addition to owning Erik Holm took he also Bjersjöholm, Barsebäck, Värpinge and Stora Herrestad - to name the biggest. Additionally, he sat as a feudal lord of castles in Laholm, Landskrona, Sölvesborg, Malmo Castle and Börringekloster. He was also a councilor and was honored with the Danish Order of the Elephant words - one of the most prestigious orders. "He was a ligesom Konge UDI Skaaneland".
1658, the year of Skåne became Swedish, died this mighty man and his grandson of the same name, Tage Ottesen Thott (10) inherited Erik Holm.
When Karl XI's war broke out in 1674 had been the Swedish Scania for 16 years, however, went Tage Ottesen Thott, along with his brothers over to the Danish side. For the Swedes, he was condemned as a traitor and burned in effigy in the square in Malmo. During this war burned Erik Holm in August 1678. All internal timber went up in smoke and the roof fell down. After the fire got bail forfeited. Tage Ottesen Thott got back the property after the war, but chose to stay in Denmark instead. He sold Erik Holm in 1680 to Helle Rosenkrantz, widow of the Privy Council and the governor of Norway, Niels Trolle to Trolholm Zealand. Helle transferred the farm to his stepson Herluf Trolle, but since the farm was uninhabitable after the fire, he chose not to stay there. Neither his sons lived at Trolleholm. The farm was rented out instead.
The first decades of the 1700s matured Trolleholm. In the 1720s, the farm was sold to Frederick Trolle (1693-1770), then stood abandoned yard a while. 1749 was an inspection of the castle for the upcoming settlement, which states that the castle's condition is very bad. Fredrik Trolle therefore gave the architect Carl Hårleman commissioned to do sketches of a new castle, which he finished in 1750. According to these drawings turned Eriksholm a rococo palace.
Towards the end of his life, enacted Fredrik Trolle entailed estate of all his property, including when Erik Holm. At the same time he took the opportunity to rename the estate to Trolleholm. After his death in 1770 Trolleholm was inherited by his daughter, the widow Fredrika Vivika Trolle, who was married to Gustaf Bonde (1682-1764). Fredrika Vivika spent on the estate a lot, even though she had other stuff to take care of too.
After Fredrika Vivika Trolle's death in 1806 the castle went over to her grandson, Gustaf Trolle-Bonde (1773-1855). When he took over the goods was yet to subordinate peasants paid their interest in grain and did day labor, and all were poor. Gustav Trolle-Bonde changed that. He abolished hoveriet, he shared the earth which he leased for 30 years to the farmers, he built the school building and poorhouse and paved roads - he was a very popular person. In 1831 he met with an accident which led to his loss of sight. When he died childless, 25 years later (1855) joined the estate passed to his nephew, also named Gustav Trolle-Bonde (1806-1884), who in addition Trolleholm inherited the numerous Swedish goods.
In 1856 the castle burned down the barn with the result that the architect Carl Georg Brunius (1792-1869) was commissioned to make drawings for the new barns, built in two years.
When Gustav Trolle-Bonde died in 1884 the castle went over to his son Carl Johan Trolle-Bonde (1843-1912), who in 1887 started a major reconstruction of the entire castle, which gave it the appearance it has largely today. The renovation was done 1889th
1951 was an extensive rebuilding again and also in 1988-89 to make way for a conference hotel. The castle is owned today by the family Trolle-Bonde.