Frederiksborg Castle (Denmark)
Hovedstaden See list of castles in Danimarca
Frederiksborg Castle is situated in the middle of Hillerød on three islands in the castle lake. The oldest parts of the castle were built in 1560 by King Frederick II and the castle bears his name.
Most of the present castle was built between 1600-1620 by the son of Frederick II, Christian IV in the Dutch Renaissance style with large gables, sandstone decorations and copper-covered roofs and spiers. The castle burned in 1859, but was rebuilt 1860-84 with financial support from Brewer JC Jacobsen and later by the Carlsberg Foundation.
The part of the castle with two round towers on the lower southernmost island next to the S-bridge connecting the first and medium-sized islands were part of the original of Frederiksborg Frederick II as well as the small Bath House between the container and the little Deer Park .
The Danish king lived in Frederiksborg Castle for about a century and absolute monarchs were crowned in the chapel of the palace from 1671. Since 1693, the chapel of the Christian IV palace also served as a chapel of the Order of the Elephant and rider Knights of the Dannebrog and is also used as a parish church at this time. The church also houses the old organ from 1610 built by Isaiah Compenius.
Frederiksborg Palace Chapel served as a beautiful backdrop for the wedding of Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra in November 1995.